Once upon a time, parents documented their kids’ firsts in words and pictures in baby books and scrapbooks that got updated as life’s big milestones got reached. Family photo albums grew thick with memories of trips, holidays, friends and relatives.
But who has time for that?
For our parents and grandparents, it was easy enough to organize, assemble and pass along a handmade book that told the story of their children’s lives in photographs. But the digital world has seriously complicated that rite of passage.
How do we best preserve the memories of our kids’ childhoods when our digital lives are scattered and ephemeral?
See these incredible things you can do with your family photos.
1. Turn them into wrapping paper.
It’s easy and inexpensive. Learn how here.
2. DIY a coloring book.
Find the tutorial on how to transform your family photos here.
3. Collect your favorites in a pocket-sized book.
Order a set of three “tiny books” for $10 here.
4. “Trap” your kids (or anyone else) inside a liquid soap dispenser.
Find the easy how-to here.
5. Decorate a cake.
If your local bakery can’t put a photo on a cake, you can order your photo on an edible sheet that can be placed atop any cake for $12.95 here.
7. Put your little slugger on a baseball.
Order one here starting at $25. You can also put a photo on a football, basketball, volleyball, soccer ball, and hockey puck.
11. Custom make a figurine of you or a loved one.
Question: Is this the coolest thing on this list? Or the coolest thing ever? Order onehere from $85.
12. Beautify a box.
Put a favorite image on the outside of the box, then fill the inside with your favorite prints. Get one here for $95.
14. Customize a case for your cell phone that will make you smile every time.
Personally customize your case here for $39.99.
15. Put your favorite person’s mug on a mug.
Upgrade your morning coffee here from $11.99.
18. Order a deck of cards that will always be lucky.
Get your personalized deck here for $19.99.
20. Make some picture perfect cookies.
22. You can even put your photos on M&M’s.
These are great for weddings, birthdays, graduations, and more. Get your customized M&M’s here.
23. Order a Rubik’s Cube that you will love no matter how much it frustrates you.
Get one here for $19.99.
26. Personalize a fleece blanket.
Keep warm under your warmest shots. Order one here for $47.99.
28. Replace the generic magnets on your ‘fridge with ones that are much, much better.
From $14.99 per set of nine. Order them here.
30. Print your favorite snapshots directly onto glass.
Fracture prints your photos directly onto glass, making them a picture frame and mount all in one. Order one here from $18.
31. Make a jigsaw puzzle.
32. Customize a one-of-a-kind skateboard.
Personalize your own design here.