Instead of picking up expensive kits made with questionable ingredients that may be harsh on skin (and leave lingering marks the next day), try making your own. It’s easier than you think and only costs a few dollars to pull off.
What You’ll Need:
- Corn starch
- Face lotion
- 1/4 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Washable paints, natural food coloring, or homemade dyes
- Small containers
- Small bowl
- Start by making a base for the face paints by mixing together equal parts corn starch and your favorite face lotion until it forms a thick mixture. Add the vegetable oil, which helps the paint from caking. You want things to be smooth without being too watery.
- Now add a spoonful of the mixture to a small container and add a pea-sized amount of washable paint. You can find packs of colorful washable paints at your local craft store for only a few dollars. Using washable paint instead of natural food coloring creates solid colors that won’t stain clothes — or your face. Most are nontoxic and, when diluted, are safe to use on skin. Just remember to avoid using around the eye and mouth areas. You can also swap for a few drops of natural food coloring or homemade dyes.
- Continue adding colors until you’ve got an entire set of face paint. For a bit of shimmer, sprinkle glitter eye shadow into containers or swipe over finished face paint for allover glitter.
- Apply using face sponges or lip brushes for creating details. Paint will dry creating a smudge-free look. For a smoother application, add a few drops of water to the paints. As with any new makeup, rub a bit of the face paint on skin to check for reaction before applying.
Don’t feel like picking up a set of washable paints? Substitute with a few drops of natural food coloring, which also creates vibrant face paints. Just be warned that using food coloring may stain skin and clothing.