The kids are home from school alllll summer. Which means the house is chock-full of kinda bored kids alllll summer. No worries! With this quick kitchen craft, they’ll be so happy creating and snacking, you won’t even hear a peep out of them!
When it comes to snacking, it’s always fun to find a simple new way to munch on whole foods. Banana Sushi is a win-win for both parents and kids. Made with organic bananas as the base, it’s a great way to show kids how delicious real food is. Plus, the one-bite finished product is so irresistible, even picky eaters will love these eye-catching eats.
Though you can make just one banana for your tot, there are so many simple variations, we’re planning on serving a Banana Sushi Bar at my daughter’s next birthday party, inviting her friends to make their own sushi, then sharing it all family-style from sushi platters.
Whether you’re serving them for a party of your own, or simply keeping your kiddos busy in the kitchen for a few precious minutes of edible crafting, here’s how to make these easy peasy treats.
Step 1: Peel the Banana
Yellow bananas with a touch of green work best for this recipe. They’re just firm enough to hold up well to the rolling and slicing, but sweet enough to taste like a dessert.
Step 2: Slather Your Spread
Use a butter knife to spread a thin layer of cream cheese on the outer part of your banana. This part is a little messy, so I recommend spreading on a piece of parchment or plastic wrap for cleanup ease.
Other Flavor Favorites:
- Almond butter
- Peanut butter
- Marshmallow spread
- Greek yogurt
Step 3: Roll in Toppings
Coat your covered banana with flavorful toppings. Fruity Pebbles is one fun way to roll a slice of Banana Sushi, but there are dozens of fun dip-ins!
Try These Toppings:
- Chopped pistachios
- Chia seeds
- Hemp seeds
- Chopped honey-roasted peanuts
- Rice Krispies or Cocoa Krispies
- Mini chocolate chips
- Graham cracker or cookie crumbs
Step 4: Slice and Enjoy!
With a very sharp knife, slice your banana into 1-2” pieces. Arrange on a sushi plate. Serve immediately with chopsticks. Try making these treats with all sorts of flavor twists … the options are endless!
Combos We Love:
- Banana + peanut butter + chia + sliced strawberry on top
- Banana + Nutella + honey roasted peanuts + sprinkles
- Banana + cream cheese + Fruity Pebbles
- Banana + chunky peanut butter + mini chocolate chips
- Banana + marshmallow spread + Cocoa Krispies
- Banana + Greek yogurt + granola (try freezing this version!)
- Banana + Nutella + graham cracker crumbs + sprinkles
Makes: 1 serving
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
2 tablespoons cream cheese, almond butter, or Nutella
2-4 tablespoons Fruity Pebbles, chia seeds, crushed nuts, sprinkles, hemp seeds, or Rice Krispies
1. Peel banana. Slather a thin layer of preferred spread around the outside of the banana. Roll in topping. Slice into 1-2” slices. Serve on sushi platter with chopsticks.